Why Embrace British Values at Marlborough St Mary's?
At Marlborough St Mary's, we understand the significance of instilling British values in our students. These values serve as a crucial foundation, equipping our young minds with essential skills for life in modern Britain and fostering a safe and inclusive environment.
Introduced in 2014 by the Department for Education, British values encompass democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect, and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. They are integral to our duty of safeguarding children, acting as a preventive measure against extremism and radicalization.
How are British Values Integrated into Our Curriculum?
Teaching British values is not just a duty but an opportunity to enhance students' spiritual, moral, social, and cultural (SMSC) development. These values form the bedrock of what it means to be a British citizen in our diverse and modern society.
Our commitment to promoting these fundamental British values is seamlessly woven into the fabric of our personal development through PSHE lessons and Worship. As an essential aspect of our curriculum, we strive to celebrate the diversity of the UK and nurture a moral and cultural understanding that enriches our school community.
Exploring the Five Fundamental British Values
At Marlborough St Mary's, we embrace the five core British values:
- Students, parents, and staff voices are heard through a pupil-elected school council, fostering a sense of empowerment.
- Opportunities for parents and guardians to express concerns or queries through parent societies and dedicated evenings.
The Rule of Law:
- Emphasis on the importance of laws and rules to guide students in distinguishing between right and wrong.
- Interactive workshops and guest speakers provide insights into the reasons behind rules and their role in protecting and governing us.
- Promotion of freedom of choice and respectful expression of views within a safe environment.
- Encouragement for students to take responsibility for their behavior and understand their rights and personal freedoms.
- Integration of regular opportunities for students to learn about diverse cultures and beliefs.
- Emphasis on understanding and respecting differing viewpoints, fostering an atmosphere of inclusivity.
Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs:
- Active teaching about respecting those from various backgrounds.
- Providing regular opportunities for students to learn about different cultures and beliefs, reinforcing messages of respect and tolerance.
At Marlborough St Mary's, we are dedicated to cultivating an environment where British values are not just taught but lived, creating responsible, respectful, and compassionate citizens for our ever-changing world.
The successful impact of these actions are monitored by the PSHE lead, our mental health lead, the headteacher and the school governors.