At Marlborough St. Mary's Primary School, we are dedicated to upholding equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents, and caregivers, regardless of their race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age, or socio-economic background. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive and diverse culture in which everyone associated with the school takes pride in their identity and their ability to fully participate in school life.
We actively combat discrimination by promoting equality positively, challenging any instances of bullying or stereotypes, and fostering an environment that champions respect for every individual.
At Marlborough St. Mary's Primary School, we firmly believe that diversity is a source of strength that should be embraced and celebrated by all who learn, teach, and visit us.
We are committed to not discriminating against, harassing, or victimising any pupil, prospective pupil, or any other member of our school community on the basis of:
4. Religion or belief.
5. Sexual orientation.
6. Gender reassignment.
7. Pregnancy or maternity.
8. Socio-economic background.
Marlborough St. Mary's Primary School does not tolerate any form of prejudice-related incidents. Whether such incidents are direct or indirect, we address discrimination against all members of our school community with the utmost seriousness. When an incident is reported through our comprehensive reporting procedure, our school is dedicated to taking appropriate action and implementing a resolution that is both fair and resolute. We employ a restorative justice approach, guided by our school values of fairness, kindness, love, courage, perseverance and friendship.
Equality in Teaching and Learning
We ensure that all our pupils have the opportunity to succeed and reach their highest level of personal achievement by:
1. Ensuring equal access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society.
2. Utilising educational materials that reflect the diversity of our world without perpetuating stereotypes.
3. Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice.
4. Creating opportunities for pupils to embrace their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures.
5. Encouraging the involvement of all parents in supporting their child's education.
6. Implementing teaching approaches that are inclusive and reflective of our diverse pupil population.
Equality in Admissions and Exclusions
Our admissions and exclusions procedures are set in accordance with Wiltshire council and are fair, transparent, and free from discrimination based on race, gender, religion, belief, disability, or socio-economic background.
Our Environment and Ethos
Our school is committed to not only eliminating discrimination but also enhancing understanding and appreciation for diversity. We believe that greater success for both pupils and staff can be achieved by recognising the uniqueness of individuals. Creating an environment free from prejudice, where individuals feel confident and at ease, is of great importance to our school.
We will achieve this environment by:
1. Upholding our school rules and embodying our values.
2. Treating all members of the school community with fairness at all times.
3. Fostering an understanding of diversity and its advantages.
4. Embracing an inclusive attitude.
5. Implementing an inclusive curriculum accessible to all.
6. Promoting compassion and open-mindedness.
7. Create a diverse curriculum that promotes representation of self for all pupils.
At Marlborough St. Mary's Primary School, our pupils are encouraged to be:
1. Understanding of others.
2. Celebratory of cultural diversity.
3. Eager to realise their full potential.
5. Know what constitutes discriminatory behaviour.
Equal Opportunities for Staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made solely based on merit and ability, in compliance with the law. We are committed to ensuring that the composition of our staff reflects the diversity of our community.
The school's employees will not:
1. Discriminate against any member of the school.
2. Treat other members of the school unfairly.
The school's employees will:
1. Promote diversity and equality.
2. Encourage and adopt an inclusive attitude.
3. Lead by example.
Marlborough St. Mary's Primary School is dedicated to promoting the well-being and equality of all its staff, pupils, and other members of the school community. To achieve this, the school has established the following objectives:
1. Monitor changes to the curriculum to ensure they result in positive outcomes for pupils in all vulnerable groups.
2. Enhance pupil knowledge of equality and diversity by integrating these topics more clearly into our school lessons and ethos.
3. Improve the quality of support to raise levels of attainment in core subjects for minority and vulnerable learners.
For more information on how we teach equality and diversity in the curriculum, please see the link below.
To see our Behaviour, Single Equalities and Equality Information & Objective, please see our policies page.